Friday, June 27, 2008

DIY background stamp with Fun-Foam in the Cuttlebug (or other machine/using store-bought diecut shapes)





This doesn't look like much does it? (It's just a bunch of carpet tape & fun foam stuck on the back of a background stamp) but it's secretly a brand new background stamp! It was a blast using it to make these:




Both cards are stamped with the DIY fun-foam background stamp in White craft ink. The black card was embossed with clear embossing powder, heated, cooled & run through the Textile embossing folder. I like how crisp the Craft (pigment) ink is with the fun foam background. Versamark would be great too.


To make your own background with any die-cut shapes:
  1. Die-cut your shapes (that step is mighty obvious, hey?) but you could just buy some of those premade fun foam shapes...
  2. Stick double-sided tape on any block (wooden or acrylic...) [In hindsight, I'd stick the carpet tape and fun foam dye-cuts to a sheet to a sheet of acetate & then stick that to a background stamp, since I had to peel off the one that's pictured above, so I keep my block nice & clean and that wasted the shapes.) With the acetate method, you can store them really easily.]
  3. Adhere fun foam shapes in a pattern that you like
  4. Stamp with 'em (I find Craft (pigment) ink gives the crispest image


I was thrilled to discover that you can also use dye-cuts to make embossed accessories. The fun foam holds the embossing and I think it looks more sophisticated than plain old un-embossed fun foam:



You can just run fun foam die-cuts through the folder the way you would paper.


To make fun foam embellishments like this flower:
  • Cut shape with white fun foam (This flower is cut with Provocraft Flowers die)
  • Run flower through Textile Cuttlebug embossing folder
  • Adhere paper behind it (This is Loves Me retired SU paper)
  • Stick on a gem/brad etc...



You may find you need to pick little bits off of the foam; if you look closely you'll see little black thready bits. Masking tape rolled on your fingers works well. :0)


To make this flower:
  • Die cut a flower in white fun foam (different fun foam brands seem to have different results)
  • Add center flower. [I used a flower from a tag set I bought, but you could use 3 for You punch kit (it's a little larger) or another flower punch]
  • Cover the black flower in Crystal Effects/other lacquer for gloss
  • Add a gem
Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy Craftiness,



P.S. The next post will involve some smooching & doodling! Kissing with fun-foam works even better than it does with stamps (Don't you just want to embrace your fun-foam lovingly?...lol) ;0)

P.P.S. For stamps used for the "delight" sentiment please see previous post

P.P.P. S. The cuttlebug list is growing. It's at 73 things! you can do with a Bug

9 comments:

retiredheather said...

Thanks so much Mel for designing more uses for the cuttlebug. I am going to try this today...unless life gets in the way. Love the way you did the BG. Thanks again
Retired Heather

Glenda said...

Hi Mel,I am so going to try this out, maybe this weekend if I can.
Love all these ideas.

Glenda x

ScrapMomOf2 said...

You come up with the most amazing projects! This is spectacular! I'm so impressed! So bold and wonderful!

Annapurna said...

These stamp really well with craft ink. I haven't seen such good results even with staz-on on black.

You can buy fun foam with sticky back. Do you have something against that? Please let me know, since I might be shopping for some tomorrow.

Tonniece said...

More great ways to use the fun foam and cuttlebug.
I love your cards.
Where do you find the energy to come up with all these fun things? I"M LOVIN it

Angie Tieman said...

Wow! How clever! Love this idea! Thanks for sharing, you rock!

Maria said...

Wow, Mel! How do you come up with all these fabulous and creative ideas! I love how your cards turned out! The design is so fabulously pretty! Beautiful job!

Maria

valita said...

Mel i love this foani idea and with the embossing!!!!! so cool have to give this a go...Luv Valita

Teri said...

I just love the fun foam flower you made!! I must try this!